Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ironic 2/07/06

2/7/06 (dated because I accidentally erased this post, the techno genius that I am)
My husband- the MISU (male income support unit)- and I were discussing the song Ironic by Alanis Morrisette last night. He came home from getting us dinner and declared that he didn't think that any of the lines in the song were actually ironic. Here are the lyrics if you need a refresher:


An old man turned 98
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your chardonnay
It's a death row pardon, two-minutes too late

chorus
And isn't it ironic? Don't you think?
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride and you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
And who would've thought it figures

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife


Then I looked up the word ironic at dictionary.com, because you see... Even though the MISU and I are fairly intelligent people, we have had 2 children now. Each child is the equivilant of eating paint chips for 2 years straight, you know, when you figure in sleep deprivation, yelling, screaming, barfing, boog removal and tantrums. 2 years of paint chips. That has to equal at least a 25 point deduction off the old intelligence score. So 2 children X 2 years of paint chips... Anyway given the fact that we collectively have been out of school for about 30 years, my penchant for terrible spelling and punctuation... Well you get the picture. We aint as learned as we used to be.

But I digress. So , I look up the word and here is the meaning:
i·ron·ic P Pronunciation Key (-rnk) also i·ron·i·cal (-rn-kl)
adj.
Characterized by or constituting irony.
Given to the use of irony. See Synonyms at sarcastic.
Poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended: madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker.

ironic

adj 1: humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"; "an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely"; "an ironic novel"; "an ironical smile"; "with a wry Scottish wit" [syn: dry, ironical, wry] 2: characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is; "madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker"; "it was ironical that the well-planned scheme failed so completely" [syn: ironical]

It turns out that since the lyrics allude to incidents where the outcomes were indeed contrary to what was intended or expected, the lyrics are ironic. Which was for us, both moronic and ironic.

Ironically, I loved this song in it's day, I even had the album. Now the yodeling and the lyrics that I had thought were so sqweakin cool are clawing at my brain, making me long for an ice pick. I begged my husband to play anything, anything at all to scrape the sound from my mind. I was willing to settle for the Wiggles, for Pete's sake!

Ironic.

Bliss came , and none to soon. I was able to scrub the yeowling and screeching from my brain by watching this...
Chuck Norris sings Meatloaf

No comments: