Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pass the Torch Tuesday!



I have been wanting to write about this little guy for awhile...This is Gabriel, my nephew.

Gabe's mommy and daddy are recently divorced, and Gabe and his brother Matty stay with their daddy half of the week. Ben really misses them when they aren't there with him, and he tries really hard to spend quality time with them. They love spending time with their dad, and daddy's girlfriend Tammy too. Tammy is just as much a part of his life as his parents, and she loves him like her own. :O)

Gabe is not a big fan of getting his head or face wet. Bath time , my brother Ben tells me, can sometimes be a doozey because of this. He loves taking a bath, he just really dislikes the hair washing part!

Recently Gabe has discovered the joy of swimming classes. Ben had the opportunity to sign him up, and they went for it! Gabe seems to have taken a liking to his new fun time with his daddy, and is really enjoying himself. Ben said that Gabe's swimming teacher let him know that if he (Ben) looks like he is holding Gabe back at all, she would be sure to let him know. Ben laughed and said that was fine.

What makes Gabe's new swimming classes so much more special is that Gabe is autistic. If you know anything about autism, you know that children that have autism often don't take to change well. Gabe is refusing to let a little thing like that stop him, and every day his progress amazes us! He is an amazing boy, with three wonderfully loving, proud and supportive parents (including Tammy, of course).

I hope that he knows he has a proud auntie in Iowa, that loves him very much, too.


Edit to add: On Wednesday night Kelly from Pass the Torch emailed me to let me know that my "post was the spotlight post this week at Pass the Torch"! I am very honored to display this award on my blog. Thanks Kelly, I am glad that you enjoyed reading about my nephew.

6 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

Great story!

Anonymous said...

Good for Gabe! What an excellent post for Pass the Torch Tuesday! He's obviously working hard to do something that doesn't come all that easily.

Inspiring story - thanks for sharing it with us!!

Unknown said...

He sounds like a very special little boy.Wonderful story.

Anonymous said...

Mary, your post was the spotlight post this week at Pass the Torch! Please email me and I'll get you the button code and magnet. (kelly034(at)centurytel(dot)net)

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

What a brave boy! I don't like getting my face wet either. I'm so glad he's taking to swimming well. It's an important thing to know!

Samantha said...

Wonderful PTT story :) Gabe sounds like a very hugable, likeable little boy. He is very lucky to have THREE parents and a GREAT aunt to love him :)