Friday, December 14, 2007

How to Eat Like a Hot Chick: a book review


I think it's no real secret that I love reading humorous content, whether it's fiction, self help... etc. This book is no exception! How to Eat like a Hot Chick starts off by giving the reader a glossary of terms commonly used throughout the book such as LSE (Low Self Esteem) and Mary Kate( having issues with food that cause you to starve yourself).

Though some of the ideas behind this book are pretty much no brainers, I have to say that I rather enjoyed reading it. There is some really good info in it about smarter choices and the authors tell you what foods you should save those extra calories for like chocolate, for example.

What I loved about this book is that the authors Jodi Lipper and Cerina Vincent fully admit that we, the dear reader, are going to make mistakes. They also say right up front that being a Hot Chick is not based on how you look per se , it's more about how you feel. Garbage in, garbage out right? They believe that the key to being hot is to feel hot.

Literally, in their book, making mistakes are fixable. So you ate a piece of chocolate cake for breakfast, huh? That piece of cake that had been taunting you for days and finally you gave in. Lipper and Vincent say that it's not the end of the world... just make smarter choices for the rest of the day, one of their favorites being spinach which is full of nutrients.

The book also discusses common pitfalls such as salad bars, sandwiches, and mixed drinks which can all be loaded with calories and fat if your not careful. There not saying that you should give up those things completely, but they give examples of better choices and substitutes.

The overall message is that we as women need to stop feeling so controlled by food. There will be days when we eat too much chocolate or have that extra slice of pizza, but that shouldn't destroy who you are. Hot Chicks take these things in stride and try to make better choices later in the day and week, or make up for those extra calories by working them off in various ways- including *wiggles eyebrows* you know. ;)

If you have a problem with the occasional curse word and slight sexual innuendo this book is not for you. I obviously don't have a problem with it because I not only love, but LURVE this book.

I am giving away the copy I received for review. If you would like to win a free copy of this book , see the sticky post above.

*** All the book reviews done for HarperCollins or Collins Publishing (an Imprint of HarperCollins Publishing) are done with one stipulation- I receive the book for free and read it. If I like it, I review it on my blog. These are not paid reviews per se, except for receiving the book.***

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds interesting. I signed up for the give away :D

I was going to make a hwole blog post about salad bars LOL I might still.

Anonymous said...

I like the concept of this book...and I love you new masthead - very cute!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.