Saturday, June 30, 2007

Oh yeah, he's catching on ;)

I don't know if you remember me mentioning my nephew Gabriel, he's a very sweet boy who just turned 5 on the 22nd. Gabe isn't letting Autism (Gabe has issues with language and expressing himself) slow him down a bit and has learned so much in the last 2 years of schooling for special needs children.

Since Gabe's mom and dad- my brother Ben- are divorced, they split the week up and Gabe (and his little brother Matty) spends half of the week with mommy and half with daddy. His mom and dad had to try to find a day care that suited Gabe's needs and that was also near his mom and dad, but Gabe doesn't like it too much.

The other day, while staying with his mom, Gabe came into her room and woke her up. His mom asked him if was ok, and if he was looking forward to going to "school" today.

He began to sing a song, and Gabe's response was very appropriate.

"It's the end of the worrrrrrld , as we know it! It's the end of the worrrrrrld as we know it..."

Again, I say, this kid is catching on. Look out world, the humor gene has struck again. ;)

As his aunt, and a connoisseur of sarcasm... I couldn't be more proud.

For those of you who don't know thw song, hee it is and this is where Gabe got the song from. :D

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

he is cute.. i bet he is a riot to be around;)

J. A. Blackburn said...

oh, that's hilarious!

Pamela said...

My brother has an autistic 28 year old.

He said a few words before he was three and has never spoken since.

I hope your nephew is encouraged to continue his communication. It's tough job to do.

Anonymous said...

He's a cutie patootie!

It must be difficult for him to switch back and forth b/n parents (most autistic kids thrive on routine) I guess it will become routine for him.

(oh - and my cousin, from Pamela's comment above - his autism is a SEVERE form)

Anonymous said...

Smart kid. My daughter is the opposite when it comes to school. She gets so upset when we won't let her go to school because she's too sick. that is the end of the world for her - staying home with mom and dad.

Not So Anonymous Michelle said...

He is a cutie, I bet he's so much fun! It's awesome he's doing so well~

Anonymous said...

What a funny child! You sure does have a great sense of humor!

Marci said...

He is such a cute-pie. And you are so right.... he's catching on. :-P

Anonymous said...

...and I feel fine.

That was a cute and bright response :)