Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sweet nibblets!



I did it, I finished the 50,000 words for National Novel Writing Month ... It almost makes the mullet worth it. Now I just have to finish writing the book.

Then edit it.

Edit it some more.

Procrastinate and start the doubting process all over again as to whether or not I should attempt publishing.

Have the MISU verbally kick my butt/stroke my fragile ego.

Get an ulcer while waiting for the rejection letters...

WAIT! I'm supposed to be positive, right? ;)

I explained my pessimistic work process to Anna the other night, "See, mommy has this stupid little thing called 'Feeeeear of Faaaaailure', and when Fear of Failure rears it's ugly little head, I hear all things things inside my head like: 'you suck, it's crap, no one will like it, I'm the pessimistic voice in side your head and I could write better crap than that'," At which point she starts to laugh.

Then I said, "So, I have all these little doubts that float around inside my head because my mother told me I wouldn't ever do anything good in my life. So I have a choice; I can give in or push those doubts aside and kick some butt!"

"The only problem is, " I whispered to her," is that I will have to edit my book, THEN send it to publishing companies... and then I will have a whole new set of doubts."

Anna starts to laugh hysterically, "Whole new set of doubts!" She smacked her knee like it was the best knock knock joke ever. Her eyes got big and she said, "Maybe they will give you TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! We will be so rich," She stopped for a moment then said, "The first thing we should do is take a trip to Hawaii."

I agreed that this was an excellent plan, but that I hoped it would be a bit more than just 10 grand. "I have a friend that lives in Hawaii, you know," I told her as we snuggled in the dark, and she drifted off to sleep , no doubt with visions of the bluest water and palm trees.

That's my girl, she's already spending my money. ;)

BTW, did you happen to notice that I'm still in "novel mode"? LOL!

10 comments:

Not So Anonymous Michelle said...

The book is awesome and should be published and Anna is hilarious...that's all I have to say about that! :) hehe

Anonymous said...

That girl sure has great taste! I'll start planning for your visit! Wait, you were talking about me, right?

Go for it!

Kailani
An Island Life

jennyryan72 said...

Yay! Congratulations!!!!

Holly Schwendiman said...

Wahoo! That's awesome. In the words of the infamous Marty McFly: "I just don't think I could take that kind of rejection." LOL It's a roller coaster ride but you never know how fun it could be until you hop on it. ;)

Hugs,
Holly

Judy said...

I am SO proud of you!! I knew you could do it.

Jennfactor 10 said...

WOO HOO! Mert, that's AWESOME!

Okay, next year, I'm gonna have to try. (I'm so jealous...)

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO MARY! You started and finished.That is so great.
When do I go to read this book you have just finished.
Anna is such a bright spot and so postive that you will get it published. I agree with her.
Aunt Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

See - the hardest part is over - getting it "almost" done.

Dreaming What Ifs...

Avery Gray said...

That is fantabulous! Trust me, I am well acquainted with that fear of failure thing! I've made it to the 50,000 word point, then convinced myself the book wasn't working, and totally stopped all forward momentum. It sucks when that happens. Don't let it! You're awesome, and you know it. Keep it going! Then send me an autographed copy and some pics from Hawaii. I'll say I knew you when...

Rachel said...

Congratulations!
I bow at your..my.. whatever.
Rock on~